Business and life - "things are not always as they seem!"


Find out more about Will at http://www.willmckee.ie/

Find the list of all Will's blog posts at the bottom of this page.
Subscribe to the RSS feed

Saturday 9 January 2010

Eric's story - Child abuse in rural Ireland; 1955

Crime, cruelty and concealment
This is a story of cruel abuse. A day in the life of Eric, a neglected 10 year-old child from a large poverty-stricken family, living in a two room cottage. His father was dead and his poor mother worked long hours for a pittance in a wet, cold, apple-peeling plant.

The Murphy report of 2009 lifted the cover on sexual abuse of children within the Catholic church in Ireland and exposed those who colluded with its concealment. In separate investigations, the church's education system has also been rightly condemned for turning a blind eye to the physical brutality suffered by children at the hands of many Christian Brothers in earlier times.
But it wasn't only a Catholic problem and it wasn't only the bishops who turned a blind eye to such criminal excess. Eric knows. I know.

A silent schoolmate
Over 50 years ago I was a pupil at a small village school in Tyrone where I saw, from time to time, cruelty inflicted on the weakest who had no one to speak up for them. There were many abuses, but one in particular, perpetrated on my friend Eric, has troubled me all my life and always will; because I sat mute when I should have spoken out.

Colluders
I share the rising tide of disgust for churchmen who concealed or ignored the evil within their ranks towards children. I hear and support the calls for resignation and other punishments. These colluders with evil were mature adults.
Not fearful children like me and Eric's classmates who, if we overcame our cowardice and spoke out, were subject to the same brutality as the victim we tried to protect. But nonetheless, the effect of our neglectful collusion was as telling as that of the bishops and allowed the same evil consequences for Eric.

Eric goes to school
Early on a chill winter's morning, it was raining heavily when Eric left home to cycle the 4 miles to school. He had no waterproof clothing. Just a thick wool hand-me-down pullover, short flannel trousers and wee lace-up black boots that I saw him in every day. Eric always had holes in his battered boots and he never looked well washed, clean or cared for. But he was tough and cheerful and one of my pals.

Eric's teachers
For some reason the teachers regularly picked on little scruffy vulnerable Eric, but no matter what happened to him - and he was often beaten at school - he never whimpered or cried. I thought he was so strong.

I was a year ahead of Eric, in the Headmaster's class. The class below that was taught by a severe elderly lady who gave great attention to her favourites from better-off families, left the bulk of us alone, and mercilessly picked on the poorer children.

Eric's 'crime'
As Eric pedalled through the rain on his old heavy bicycle, she overtook him in her car and, according to her, he wobbled because he looked backward at her, causing her to swerve.
The Headmaster's class was just about to start when this teacher brought the shivering soaked boy into the room, the water still running out of his leaking boots. She told her story, following which the Headmaster, a pillar of the local community and leading figure in the Church of Ireland, took a cane to poor wee trembling Eric.

Eric's beating
I knew what was coming and I was sick to my stomach - and silent. With the first 6 on the left hand Eric flinched but was quiet. The next 6 on the right hand brought tears but no cries.
This was worse than I had expected and my own eyes filled with tears. My heart pounded and I almost shouted aloud in protest, but conformance and cowardice choked me and stopped my mouth.
Then he was put out alone to the outside toilets across the yard with two final sadistic cane-slashes at the back of his cold wet bare legs.

'Will, don't tell anybody I cried'
The school carried on.
Ten minutes later I was sent out to bring Eric back to his class. He was shaking with deep racking sobs. He couldn't speak. Swollen hands and seared red weals on his legs. When he could, all he said was, "Will, don't tell anybody I cried".

I washed his face, cleaned him up and he walked pathetically and cowed back to the classroom, showing no signs of crying as a result of his trauma. But he carried the physical marks. Everyone had seen the brutal physical abuse. I alone had seen the beaten, crying, broken, shattered spirit.
That wee boy had no love, no respect, no standing, no protection, no hope. The only thing he had to cling onto for survival was a pathetic inner desperate defiance and determination that nobody should see him cry.
I never told that Eric cried sore. I never told. I never told anything.

Sin of silence
My sin was that I told nobody. My puerile weak defence is that I was only ten years old and anyway, this sort of thing happened all the time. God forgive me. I should have told my parents or somebody in authority.

Like most people, I have had my share of ups and downs in life, but the number of regrets I have are few; very few. Today, neglect in failing to intervene for Eric is my only regret that still has the power to reduce me to tears of shame.
That unhappiest day of my childhood materially influenced the way I have interacted with people ever since.

Who casts the first stone?
When the inflamed mob lifts its missiles of righteous anger to target all abusers and their protectors - with shame I remember my own silent sin. I may not be entitled to cast the first stone.
But when I think of Eric's long-dead tormentors I'll lift and let fly anyway.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wills this is a very brave and honest post and thank you very much for writing. I suspect I'm not the only reader who is close to tears after reading it. I suspect also that I'm not alone in wondering what ever became of Eric?

Will said...

Thanks for that. I left that school shortly after and lost touch with Eric. I'm currently trying to trace what became of him.

colliedoggie said...

This was not an uncommon experience but we didn't know to question it. It was the "way things were" and weren't the good old days wonderful when teachers had unquestioned authority and the policemen would give you a clip round the ear!
Every institution had its monsters and bullies and none of us can limit the Murphy Report to only one denomination.

Ciaran said...

A very thought provoking story and courageous post....and one that I can relate to through stories from my own parents experience of life at school in the 1950's....the kids who were slapped about because their family couldn't afford to send them to school with a lump of turf.

As each day passes I think that cynicism grows about people who put themselves about, like they are smarter or better than everyone else around them....

Some of the least educated, wealthy and remarkable people I know, are also the most reliable and decent to the core.

Anonymous said...

This story once again shows the horrors visited upon the vulnerable by those very people who were employed to protect them. A culture of fear obviously existed, in a time when children were ignored routinely by all, including their parents. May it remind all parents that you only brutalise your kids by raising a hand to them, and that you must listen to them. Thank you for posting that, Will. It is a much more important story than that of the sordid actions of the DUP mentalists posted elsewhere around these parts.

Anonymous said...

I think this story has more to say to the 'bystanders' than it does to/about the perpetrators of brutality. I'm taking it as a challenge.

Brutality and bullying takes many, many forms, and is seen in the playground, classroom, factory floor, office, pub, rugby club, etc. - we see it every day.

Our challenge is to have the balls to defend those not able to defend themselves.

Nice work, grumpy!

Rick

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

salesxcellence said...

Will, you nailed it again - I tell people that back in the fifties I was thrown through the 11+, grabbed by a one handed steel grip on the back of my neck my face would be slammed into the blackboard to make me sale! This pillar of the society revered and referred to this monster as "The Master" He went on to be the headmaster of a secondary school where no one dared challenge his cruelty. I witnessed incidents of abuse similar to Eric's including my own. This happened in all denominations.

Kieragh said...

Good God Will, poor you and poor Eric, I'd love to know if you track him down. I'm traumatized after that, as a mother of two young boys I cannot bear to see/hear any stories of cruelty or abuse to children in any way, shape or form. I turn the TV off when such things come on because I cannot take the pain, yet I do little about helping disadvantaged kids and I feel guilty about that. Where to start??
You learnt the greatest lesson it seems from your experience with Eric, you took that shame you felt and turned it into a positive, helping to shape the man you are today, good on you.
Such tyrants hiding behind religion and class needed strung up then, and strung up now for those still using it as an excuse to prey on the weak.

Thank you for sharing such personal thoughts
Kx

Heather S said...

What a moving account Will. It brought back to me the stories my dad told me of his school life. He was left handed and told of how that was beaten out of him every day at school. He always kept his left handedness at home tho!!
There were still teachers like that when I was at school in the 70's & 80's. Nowadays I look back and wish I'd been braver and stood up for some of my class mates but when you're living it you can't do much. The ones picked on then would be classed as dyslexic now and not punished and labelled stupid.
Rant over!!
Keep up the good blog Will, it gives us food for thought
Heather

Keith Troughton said...

A sad story and I feel you're being a little hard on yourself. As a boy you had no power (or very little) to change the circumstances.

Will said...

Thanks for that Keith. From a rational perspective you are quite right but still ........

About Me

My photo
See http://www.willmckee.ie/

Followers