Business and life - "things are not always as they seem!"


Find out more about Will at http://www.willmckee.ie/

Find the list of all Will's blog posts at the bottom of this page.
Subscribe to the RSS feed

Wednesday 9 December 2009

"Mental reservations" and the latest tiger collapse. The blindness of selfish arrogance

There is something about successful achievement in any aspect of life, whether sport or business or even religion, that encourages dangerous arrogance and an over-rated sense of our own importance.



Sure, an attitude of positivity and self-belief is a good thing. Indeed it is essential in order to succeed to any degree in any dimension of today's competitive world.
But there can be a fine line between its uplifting benign aspect and a destructive arrogance that precedes the fall of hubristic tigers, bishops or developers.



We all had a good run in the heady days of the Celtic tiger yet none of us are world-class golfers or zillionaire bankers or princes of the Church. But beware!
The reality is that the blinding effects of selfish arrogance can also apply to ordinary folks like you and me. With consequences that are never good.


My wife Swmbo - that's not her real name, it's just short for "she who must be obeyed" - looks after my own frequent trips to the naughty corner. For example, when I fail the dishwasher test.



There's a rule in our house (guess who made it up) that if you innocently open the dishwasher to put a cup or plate in - doing your bit to help in the house even though you are a pioneering hunter gatherer, Phg for short (she pronounces it pig) and it has just finished its cycle, you have to immediately empty it and put everything away neatly!


Another useful assist to my humility came to mind earlier this week when I was about to give a speech on selling to a group of business owners and I was being introduced to the audience in glowing terms.

As the hyperbole continued and my head was swelling with pride, it just flashed into my mind how my sweet Swmbo would interpret the introduction. Her comments are in brackets.


"Will McKee is one of Ireland's leading entrepreneurs (he can't even boil an egg) with a distinguished persona (if I didn't watch what he wears, he'd look like Forrest Gump) and lifetime reputation of support to all his colleagues (what about the dishwasher?). His easy unhurried approach (you must be joking!) comes from ......etc......etc....... (more home truths) ......etc.......etc." You get the picture.


Despite any short-term advantage that accrues through our own flights into selfish arrogance, its inevitable longer-term effect has serious consequences for our personal lives through damage to our careers, businesses and relationships.



Sometimes it goes to the extreme of a crack on the head with a golf club. He had a wife to remind him that worldwide fame is not a licence for infidelity.



Or a summons to the Vatican to be fired. He had no wife to remind him that a "mental reservation" is just a lie.

8 comments:

The Agnews said...

Will!

Richard Agnew here in PEI, Canada! Been too long! I've been reading you bloggie thingy lately and laughed out loud at this entry! I can just see 'Swmbo' 'keeping you humble!" Loved it! Also loved the entry where Bug threw a pencil at that Harvard twit, Henry!

Merry Christmas to all and say Hello to Swmbo! ;o)

R

Will said...

Well Merry Christmas to you and yours too Richard. A lot of water under the bridge since Dungannon days!

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I contemplate the list inform should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Well I to but I contemplate the collection should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

About Me

My photo
See http://www.willmckee.ie/

Followers